Recipe number two in my series making veg the star of the show! This dish takes broccoli to another level with the help of crunchy, fragrant almonds and hot chillies. Not a chilli lover? Try a grating of lemon zest instead to add a similar pop of flavour.
The result: greens with a twist! Why not try as an accompaniment for your Sunday roast chicken, or with couscous and fried halloumi for a tasty packed lunch?
Steamed broccoli with chilli and flaked almonds
- 1 medium head of broccoli
- 10g flaked almonds
- Half a red chilli, finely chopped
- Sea salt
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Bring a pan of water (which fits a steamer pan) to the boil.
- Cut the broccoli into florets, halving any very large pieces, and discard the thick stalk (or put aside for a soup or juice!).
- Place the prepared broccoli in the steamer, distribute evenly over the base and put the lid on. Steam until tender – around 5 to 8 minutes. Take care not to overcook – broccoli is usually done just right when it looks vibrantly green and shiny.
- In the meantime, dry fry the flaked almonds in a pan over a medium heat until just golden.
- Before serving, place the cooked broccoli in a dish, and scatter over the toasted almonds along with the chopped chilli and a good pinch of sea salt. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.